To install latest MySQL to Ubuntu perform the following steps:
1) Download and add the repositories
Download the repositories from the official download page manually. Install them.
2) Update the repository data:
sudo apt update
3) Install MySQL server via apt.
Install MySQL server with the command below. Also, take into consideration the following notes:
- During installation you will be asked for a password. Do not leave it blank. For a development computer root as password is good enough.
- You will be asked for default authentication plugin. For a development computer choose: Legacy authentication.
4) Install MySQL workbench:
Install MySQL workbench with the command below. After installation, open MySQL workbench and verify that you can connect to the server.
5) Run security installer (optional)
For improved security you should run the MySQL Security installer. You should not run the installer on a development computer:
If you have problems connecting to the server check the following articles: